Friday, 12 August 2011

Busking Metaphysics



(Or the loser’s guide to a street art)

I’ll be straightforward here – I haven’t really felt like busking today. I haven’t done that full time for a couple of years now, and those few times I had, have been quite awful. Still, the lean years came, and my love and me, we faced a weekend (for starters) without a single penny and with a completely empty fridge. Basically I was forced to the streets, if you will.

Ok, for those of you who haven’t got a clue, I will explain few things concerning my experience with the street performance:
1. Busking isn’t easy.
2. Busking in Copenhagen is particularly not easy.
3. Busking when you are not very good (here I come) is even less easy.
4. Busking with an instrument that doesn’t have a good name* is not…
Right, you’ve got the idea.

Then you have some inner issues you need to face. It works like this:

1. First you have to find “the Place”. Not any place will do. It has to be perfect. But when you really don’t feel like playing, you will discover to your amazement that all the perfect spots are already taken, whereas the ones that aren’t, are basically unusable: too much street traffic, too much noise, too many (or too few) people, the shop owner gives you a frown, the weird lady stares at you, something smells bad (yeah, it’s your attitude, mate), and so on, and so on.

2. Then, if in some miraculous way you manage to find a spot, there comes the rough part – playing and singing. You know that you suck, it’s not a big secret to you, but in a few moments everyone will know, and that will hurt.
In such a situation, if you don’t want to be a sad loser making a fool out of yourself, you have to be a happy loser, making a fool of yourself with a heart. And believe me, it’s not a piece of cake, especially if you are broke and possibly hungry. But it’s still doable. How? Well… You just have to keep trying. If you try hard enough, you might find inside yourself the soundtrack for your tragic adventures. And that will give you ability to look at yourself from outside. And then you can laugh.

PS. Eventually I haven’t found a right spot. All the good ones were taken:)

* You may ask, how the hell such or such an instrument can have a bad name. I’m asking the same question myself! For God’s sake, this is just an accordion - a beautiful musical device meant for a pleasure, not a tool of damnation! Don’t stare at me like I am Antichrist himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment